Wordpress is an incredibly safe application to use, however there are a few ways you can make your Wordpress site even more secure!
Here are some tips to ensure your security -
- Install Wordfence, this will block unwanted login attpemts.
- Always keep the WordPress software and plugins up to date
- Change the file permissions for your website. Suggested file permissions are: -
|File Name||Relative Path||Suggested||Default|
- Install the plugin 'Wordfence'. This will monitor the failed login attempts to your website and also block potential brute force attacks.
Restrict access to your wp-admin directory by performing the following steps :-
Step 1 - Go to the location where you have installed Wordpress using file manager.
Step 2 - Look out for a folder name wp-content.
Step 3 - Find the .htaccess and insert the follow code :-
AllowOverride None order deny,allow # whitelist allow from xxx.xxx.xxx.xxx (IP 1) allow from xxx.xxx.xxx.xxx (IP 2) allow from xxx.xxx.xxx.xxx (IP 3) deny from all
If you only need to allow one ip address you can remove the 2 additional lines (IP2, IP3).
- Above all, as with most elements that require security, a strong username and password combination is a catch all, simple way of helping to keep all of your information secure.
If you should have any issues or have any questions regarding this topic please contact us via a support ticket (open a ticket) with our hosting department and we will get back to you as soon as possible